5 Steps to Get Your $500 ADS-B Rebate
The rebate program is available until all are claimed or by October 11, 2019. Only those who have not equipped their aircraft with ADS-B Out are eligible.
There are five steps aircraft owners should follow to meet the mandate and receive their $500 rebate:
- Purchase the equipment and schedule installation
- Obtain a Rebate Reservation Code by reserving a position online
- Within the 90-day period of your ADS-B Out install, reserve your $500 Rebate.
- All boxes must be checked on the Rebate page to request a reservation.
- Install the equipment
- Follow the FAA’s installation policy
- As stated in the FAA Mandate requirements, your aircraft must be equipped with aTSO-certified Version 2 ADS-B Out transmitter and a compatible WAAS GPS position source.
- There are two types of ADS-B systems available:
- Mode S transponder with Extended Squitter, referred to as 1090ES, which meet the performance requirements of Technical Standard Order TSO-C166b. Stratus Transponders qualify as a 1090 ES ADS-B Solution.
- Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) that meets the performance requirements of TSO-C154c. UAT receives weather data provided by the FAA ADS-B network and operates on 978 MHz. Most UAT options reuse your existing old transponder though, which may still use outdated vacuum-tube technology and need to be replaced.
- Conduct the required equipment performance validation and get an Incentive Code
- After your ADS-B Out Solution is installed you have 60 days to submit a Public ADS-B Performance Report Request. This request validates your equipment performance with the FAA. After you’ve completed the test you’ll receive an incentive code.
- According to the FAA, “for best results, ADS-B validation flights should be conducted within published areas of FAA ADS-B Coverage. Flying near the surface or at the fringe of ADS-B coverage areas may negatively impact the metrics provided in your PAPR Report. Please refer to the FAA ADS-B Coverage Map before flying.”
- Here is a useful AOPA article that shares some tips on how to pass the ADS-B performance validation test.
- Claim the $500 rebate online using the Rebate Reservation Code and Incentive Code